Welcome to the SIUE Women’s Studies Page!
The goal of our program is to invite students to critically examine the beliefs, attitudes, and values surrounding gender and sexualities. Women’s Studies courses focus on the often under-represented contributions of women to literature, art, history, science, and social sciences, but, as importantly, WMST classes also ask students to think about structures of power that inform our political and cultural landscapes and, ultimately, to challenge expectations that impede social justice. Such work also involves considerations of masculinity, gender more generally, and of sexuality as well as issues of race, class, and other intersecting concerns .
We’d love to have your participation in our program in any number of ways. You can take a Women’s Studies course; read our blog (linked in the menu); attend one of the regular lectures or events we host on campus; join the student group, Making Waves; declare a minor; or simply look through our website for information about feminist scholarship and activism. Feel free to stop by the Women’s Studies Office (Peck 3407) for more information, formal mentoring, or just a cup of coffee.
If we aren’t there, you can reach the Interim Director of the Women’s Studies program for Fall 2018, Christy Ferguson, at email@example.com to set up a convenient meeting time for coffee or a chat; Director Reiheld is on sabbatical and will return in Spring of 2019.
- Our Fall 2018 events are up so you can see what will be happening! See the menu up top for a link to past events to see what has been happening.
- We now have a page of Helpful Information for Students which has information on breastfeeding/nursing/pumping locations on campus as well as on how to institute an effective name change and updated (as of Oct 2018) information on childcare support on campus.
- Do you need to report a sexual assault, get help supporting someone who has been sexually assaulted, get help as a survivor, or learn how to help prevent sexual assault? Visit the website of SIUE’s Prevention Education and Advocacy Center (PEACe).
- Women’s Studies Minors and “Friends of Women’s Studies” (anyone who is taking a WMST course, who is interested in feminist issues, or just wants to receive updates on the program), please sign up for our list-serv. We promise not to to overload your inbox, and we’ll send invitations to events, announcements, and other good information to the email address you provide. Follow this link to get started: https://lists.siue.edu/listinfo/wmst_minors_and_friends
- Are you a faculty member at SIUE who wants to become affiliated with the WMST program, or who is already involved but isn’t on the listserv? E-mail the Director to receive information on the faculty listserv as well as on the many levels of involvement from easy to invested!
- You can also join our group on Facebook, “SIUE Women’s Studies Program,” to receive information about events and to join the conversation about current issues.
The image used on our website is a detail of Carrie Moyer’s painting “The Stone Age” from the Elizabeth Sackler Center for Feminist Art housed at the Brooklyn Museum in Brooklyn, New York. We’ve got a link to their website on our “Links We Like” Page.